On April 7, Dr. Zelenko wrote the following detailed letter to President Trump:
Dear President Trump:
I humbly offer the following observations:
1. Based on my front-line experience, it is essential to start treatment against Covid-19 immediately upon clinical diagnosis of the infection and not to wait for confirmatory testing. There is a very narrow window of opportunity to eliminate the virus before pulmonary complications begin. Delaying treatment is the essence of the problem. My treatment regime is listed below and please know that as of today it has saved 383 patients without complications or negative side effects.
2. Based on my front-line experience, the emphasis must be on preemptive treatment for high-risk patients in the outpatient setting - primary care and urgent care settings. It makes no sense to wait until a patient is admitted to a hospital and put on a ventilator. High-risk patients are those over the age of 60, those with underlying health conditions or compromised immune systems, and anyone with symptoms and shortness of breath.
In addition, we should consider immediate prophylactic treatment of very high-risk individuals. Very high-risk individuals are front-line health care providers, nursing home residents, police officers, etc.
3. Based on my direct observations, the risk of side effects to this treatment regime is exaggerated. The theoretical risk of heart arrhythmia (QT prolongation) is 1 in a 1000. However, the actual risk of death from Covid-19 in the high-risk population is between 5 to 10%. The risk versus benefit analysis overwhelmingly favors treatment. And in my clinical experience, I have seen no negative side effects.
4. This is World War lll (virus vs humanity). Under these circumstances, we don’t have the luxury of operating as we do in peacetime. Waiting for the results of clinical trials while people are dying is unethical. Millions will die and the economy will collapse while we wait.
5. My field-tested treatment regimen for high risk patients with clinical diagnosis is as follows:
Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days
Zinc sulfate 220mg (or the equivalent of 50mg elemental zinc) once a day for 5 days
6. I also suggest the following prophylactic regimen for very high risk individuals:
Hydroxychloroquine 200mg once a day for 5 days, and then 1 pill a week until immunity can be shown or a vaccine becomes available.
Zinc Sulfate 220mg (or the equivalent of 50mg elemental zinc) once a day for 5 days, and then 1 pill a week until immunity can be shown or a vaccine becomes available.
Dear Mr. President:
I humbly request the following:
1. We need an executive order to override any state obstacles and to (a) allow all physicians to prescribe the above regime without the fear of liability or retribution; and (b) permit pharmacies to dispense this medication without the fear of liability or retribution.
2. The pharmacies need an immediate supply of sufficient medicine to dispense the above regime to at least 15 million people. Please do everything in your power to achieve this.
3. The Task Force should give permission to physicians to treat their patients early and aggressively based on clinical diagnosis, without the delay caused by confirmatory testing. (Of course, if tests results come back negative, then the patient should be advised to stop the medication.)
4. Any bureaucratic/man made obstacles that interfere with doctors’ ability to treat their patients with these well known, field tested, inexpensive and life saving medications in my humble opinion is inexcusable and should be treated as a crime against humanity.
With much respect,
Dr. Vladimir (Zev) Zelenko