Dawabshe house after arson
Dawabshe house after arsonFlash 90

Supreme Court Justice Yael Vilner ordered the minor accused of planning the Duma arson examined for the possibility of releasing him from full detention to an alternative arrangement.

In a recent hearing before Judge Wilner, Attorney Adi Keidar, representing the minor, asked for the minor to be released from the detention he has suffered for two-and-a-half years.

The judge noted the detention was a very protracted and unusual one, and added that in light of the fact that the minor's mental state was indeed not good, alternatives to detention should be examined. In light of this, she suggested starting a process of examining an alternative to detention, and ordered the probation service to prepare a psychological profile for the minor's case.

The State's representative in the hearing agreed after significant pressure from the judge to prepare the report, but made it clear she did not undertake to accept the probation service's recommendations.

The judge extended the minor's detention by an additional 45 days and ordered he be sent for the examination. At the same time the judge ruled a hearing on the matter would take place immediately after the mini-trial decision in a month.

After months of deliberations, a summary trial on the admissibility of the evidence in the case is due to be completed in the near future. At the conclusion of the trial it will be decided whether the confessions collected from the two defendants - Amiram Ben Uliel accused of committing the murder itself, and the minor accused of complicity in its planning - are admissible as evidence or should be disqualified.

Attorney Adi Keidar, representing the minor, stated, "After two-and-a-half years of incarceration under brutally harsh conditions that aggravated the boy's mental state, who was a minor at the time of the offenses, the Supreme Court ordered a detention report regarding the minor be prepared. We hope the combination of the upcoming expected decisions in the mini-trial and this decision of the Supreme Court is the light at the end of the tunnel in preparation for the release and exoneration of the minor in this case."