In preparation for the 50th anniversary of the reunification of Jerusalem, Arutz Sheva, together with Ateret Cohanim, is presenting a special project that will focus on the renewal of Jewish presence in eastern Jerusalem, the Old City and the village of Shiloah (bordering the Kidron Valley outside the Old City walls).
Daniel Luria, Ateret Cohanim Executive Director and Spokesperson, emphasized that the Arab village of Silwan in eastern Jerusalem was once the location of a “beautiful, thriving” village of Yemenite Jews - “at its peak, 144 Yemenite families.”
“Of course, just like in the Old City, the pogroms and the riots changed everything [...] 1938 was the last time Jews walked, prayed, did anything in the village. In 2004, we returned home.”
“Then, Ateret Cohanim, with the help of investors who understood the importance of the revival of Jewish life in the heart of Jerusalem helped us bring Jewish life back with two buildings, but in the last year, we’ve seen a doubling of that Jewish presence. It is again thriving with Jewish life.”
“Yes there are complications, but the Yemenite Village has once again been re-established."
For more details about Ateret Cohanim's activities and to join the “Building Jerusalem together” project, click here.