Dalia Lemkos hy"d
Dalia Lemkos hy"d Courtesy of the family

The Ofer Military Court has begun the sentencing process of Maher Al-Hashalmoun, the Palestinian terrorist who murdered 26-year-old Dalia Lemkos as she waited at a bus stop in Gush Etzion.

Dalia's mother, Brenda Lemkos, has demanded that the court give Al-Hashalmoun the death penalty as a means of deterrence. '

"His life is not worth anything, he did not expect to live in the attack and he will do it again," the bereaved mother stated to Arutz Sheva. "It's hard to imagine the fear Dalia felt when she was stabbed over and over again." 

Chairman of Almagor, Meir Indor, told the hearing, "We expect the politicians to see the terrorist who killed Dalia, see him laughing, and understand that it is time to stop this farce and put into the [20th Knesset] coalition agreements demands such as the death penalty for terrorists and provisions against terrorist releases." 

Indor added, "Everyone knows, including the terrorist, that a life sentence is not a life sentence and is enforceable only until the next deal [with the Palestinian Authority - ed.]."

"We must turn a 'life sentence' into the death penalty to re-establish deterrence." 

According to the indictment, Al-Hashalmoun planned his attack in advance and went out looking to kill a Jew using his car - imitating several previous attacks targeting Israeli civilians. He also acquired two knives to use in the attack if he did not succeed in committing a murder using his car alone.

On the day of the murder, after handing his wife a will, the terrorist went out looking for victims. Upon reaching the bus stop outside of Alon Shvut he noticed Dalia Lemkos, who had just disembarked from her previous ride, and hit the accelerator while aiming his car directly at her.

Security camera footage of the attack shows how after Al-Hashalmoun first ran his victim over he then got out and stabbed her to death as she lay injured and defenseless on the ground.

The indictment also recounts how Al-Hashalmoun then attempted to attack another Israeli, local resident Yishai Katz, with the same knife. When another resident, Yishaya Horovitz rushed to his aid and sprayed pepper spray in his face, the terrorist attempted to attack him as well, and succeeded in wounding him.

After a brief struggle the attacker was shot and wounded by a security guard, and apprehended by security forces.