Throwing rocks in Silwan (file)
Throwing rocks in Silwan (file) Flash90

Three residents of eastern Jerusalem were charged Thursday with a severe assault on a police officer in Jerusalem on Jerusalem Day, in an incident that received relatively little media attention.

The three – Ahmed Bargiti, 19, Ahmed Abu Sneneh, 21, and a 17-year-old, are charged with causing severe injury under grave circumstances, an attempt to attack a policeman under severe circumstances, and participation in a riot.

The charge sheet details the defendants' actions on May 28, Jerusalem Day.

Bargiti planned to throw rocks at security forces and Jewish civilians on the morning of that day. To this end, at about 9:30 a.m., he and another person approached the Majles Gate, with their faces covered. They broke several cinder blocks and threw some of the blocks, as well as stones with a diameter of about 10 centimeters at police. The rocks missed the policemen.

One of the policemen climbed onto a roof and began to chase the two, firing some rubber-coated bullets. A rubber-coated bullet struck Bargiti in the leg but he managed to escape.

At 3:30 p.m. Bargiti met Abu Sneneh, as well as the 17-year-old and additional people whose identities are not known, in the Old City. They planned to hurl rocks from the roof of the minor's home in the evening hours.

At about 8:00 p.m., the three defendants, and two others whose identities are not known, stocked up with about 15 rocks sized about 10 centimeters in diameter, as well cinder blocks and decorative rocks used for covering walls. They arranged the rocks on a low stone wall that surrounds the roof. They took turns approaching the edge of the roof to look down and locate a Jew they could target in the street below.

At the same time, they hurled smaller rocks at police stationed at the Majles Gate.

At about 9:00 p.m., a policeman passed down the street, in order to bring food to other security forces. When he passed under the home, one of the three defendants hurled a decorative rock about 20-30 centimeters in size and weighing 2.3 kilos, at his head.

The rock hit the policeman directly in the head. He fell, bleeding, and lost his consciousness. The group made its escape.

The policeman suffered a concussion and temporarily lost his eyesight. He suffered pain in the back and leg and was hospitalized for two weeks. He was then taken to the Beit Levenstein rehabilitation center, where he is still hospitalized.