Boston police in manhunt
Boston police in manhunt Flash 90

The arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev marked the end of an extremely tense weekend in Boston, and was met with cheering and celebration throughout the city and its environs. It was known that the terrorists who carried out the Boston Marathon bombings were on the loose, and as police began to close in on them and release photos of the suspects, the tension grew.

At 10:20 p.m. Thursday night, police at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology received reports of gunfire on the Cambridge campus. Responding officers soon found a colleague, M.I.T. officer, Sean A. Collier, 26, dead from multiple gunshots. It is believed he was ambushed by the Tsarnaevs in his police vehicle.

News then came from another part of Cambridge, that a Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle was hijacked at gunpoint by two men who released its owner 30 minutes later.

At about 1:00 a.m. Friday, large police forces converged on Watertown, about five miles to the west, where local police had tried to pull over the carjacked vehicle. In the ensuing shootout, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was shot dead and a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority police officer, Richard H. Donohue, 33, was seriously wounded.

After the elder Tsarnaev brother, Tamerlan, was shot dead, much of Boston was on lockdown, with residents told by police to “shelter in place.”

Just before 5:30 p.m., Governor Deval Patrick told residents could "go about their business." Massachusetts State Police Timothy Alben promised the remaining suspect would be apprehended soon.

According to Bloomberg Businessweek, David Henneberry, who lives on Franklin Street in a white, three-story Victorian home, heard Patrick’s message and stepped outside for fresh air, but "something wasn’t right."

Henneberry’s boat, covered for the winter on a trailer in the backyard, "looked different," his neighbor, George Pizzuto, told Bloomberg Television yesterday evening.

Henneberry retrieved a ladder from his garage and started to open the cover, Pizzuto said. He saw blood, and a person. He quickly backed away and called police. It was about 6 p.m., Pizzuto told Bloomberg.

Police, who had previously searched the street and found nothing, returned to it and set up a perimeter around the Henneberry house.

A hostage negotiation team was brought in, said Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis at a press conference last night, though the suspect “wasn’t communicative.”

Snipers took positions near the boat and there was an exchange of gunfire, as a helicopter with a searchlight hovered just overhead.

About 7:50 p.m., police set off two rounds of flash-bang grenades, according to witnesses and the police scanner. An hour later, Tsarnaev was seen being taken to an ambulance on a gurney, strapped down and driven away.