Barkan victims' families protest 'lax response to terror'

'We can't go on like this. Terrorists need to be scared of us, not us being scared of them.'

Tzvi Lev,

Protesting against terror in Tel Aviv
Protesting against terror in Tel Aviv
Kobi Richter/TPS

Families of the Barkan attack victims protested what they said was the government's "lax response to terrorism" at Tel Aviv's Rabin Square on Saturday evening.

Ashraf Walid Suleiman Na’alowa had shot and killed Kim Levengrond-Yehezkel and Ziv Hajbi in the Barkan industrial zone in October.

"We want to change the policy here, mainly to restore deterrence, to destroy the homes of terrorists and to expel their families," said Levengrond's widower Guy.

Reading a long list of Israelis who had been cut down by terrorism, Hajbi's brother Ziv told the crowd that "tomorrow it can be any of you.

"We are here to explain to the government that it is enough, life cannot continue on like this," added Ziv. "We need to make a difference- they need to be scared of us, not us worrying about them. We need to have zero tolerance for terrorism."

After a two-month manhunt, security forces eliminated Ashraf Walid Suleiman Na’alowa in a raid on Thursday morning.

The terrorist was killed in Shechem (Nablus) during a joint operation of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet), the IDF and the Israel Police.

According to the Shin Bet, Na'alwa was armed when the forces arrived at his hideout. During an attempt to arrest, an exchange of gunfire ensued, killing the terrorist.




top