Police end standoff following Haifa rampage that left 4 wounded

Suspect who wounded 4 in northern Israeli city subdued, arrested following standoff with police.

David Rosenberg ,

Apartment where attack took place
Apartment where attack took place
Israel Police

A police standoff with a man who wounded four in northern Israel ended Monday afternoon when officers entered the apartment where the suspect had barricaded himself and managed to subdue him before taking him into custody.

The arrest came hours after the suspect attempted to force his way into the Bnai Zion Medical Center in Haifa while carrying a hand saw Monday morning.

When police officers approached the suspect, he wounded two of them with the saw and fled the scene. Both officers are reportedly in light condition.

The suspect then broke into an apartment on Hashmonaim Street and attacked an elderly couple, wounding them. While emergency units dispatched to the scene were able to rescue the wounded couple, the suspect managed to barricade himself inside their apartment.

Anti-riot police from the special Yamam unit were called to the scene of the standoff to break into the apartment and subdue the suspect. The standoff lasted some two hours before police managed to break into the apartment, locate and subdue the suspect, who was then taken into custody.

Police say the incident was not nationalistic in nature, adding that the suspect appears to be mentally ill.

The elderly victims of the home invasion, both about 80 years of age, were evacuated to local hospitals for treatment. The husband suffered head wounds and is currently listed in serious condition in Rambam Hospital. His wife was lightly wounded and is being treated in Bnai Zion Medical Center.

“I was called to the scene of an incident involving a man who had gone on a rampage,” said MDA paramedic Shmuel Dror.

“When I got there, they were trying to subdue him. After he managed to escape, I was called to a nearby street. Inside an apartment there I saw a man, about 80 years of age, who was suffering from head wounds and was conscious but disoriented. I provided life-saving emergency first aid before he was evacuated in serious condition to Rambam Hospital.”