UN envoy lauds significant drop in Syria violence

UN's Syria envoy applauds a fall in violence through the first 24 hours of ceasefire, but says aid convoys have not yet deployed.

Arutz Sheva Staff ,

Staffan de Mistura
Staffan de Mistura
Reuters

The UN's Syria envoy on Tuesday applauded a fall in violence through the first 24 hours of a fragile ceasefire but said security concerns meant aid convoys had not yet deployed.

The envoy, Staffan de Mistura, told reporters that the powers which brokered the truce -- the United States and Russia -- would likely provide a full assessment of the pact in the coming days or hours.

But he said that information reaching his office indicated "a significant drop in violence" adding that isolated reports of conflict persisted, especially on Monday night.

Possible ceasefire violations included mortar shelling by some opposition groups along the Castello Road, the key supply route to the battleground city of Aleppo, de Mistura said.

But de Mistura added that by sunrise on Tuesday the broad picture was positive.

A key test of the ceasefire agreed last week is whether warring parties will allow desperately needed humanitarian supplies to reach Syria's embattled civilians.

De Mistura dismissed reports by Turkish state media that UN trucks on Tuesday crossed the border towards rebel held eastern Aleppo, which has not received aid since regime troops seized the Castello road in early July.

The envoy said he had "no information about any UN trucks moving at this stage," demanding "assurances that the drivers and the convoy will be unhindered and untouched."

Spokesman for the UN's humanitarian office (OCHA), Jens Laerke, separately confirmed that no UN convoys have deployed across a border or within Syria since the ceasefire call.

Under the ceasefire deal, fighting will halt across areas not held by jihadists and aid deliveries to besieged areas will begin, with government and rebel forces ensuring unimpeded humanitarian access to Aleppo in particular.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday the ceasefire “may be the last chance that one has to save a united Syria.”

De Mistura also stressed on Tuesday that opposition leaders in rebel controlled areas needed to accept aid "with no conditions or preconditions" before material can be moved.

The Syrian truce marks the latest bid to end a conflict that has killed more than 300,000 people since March 2011.

De Mistura has voiced hope that a decline in violence and more relief to civilians could help pave the way for peace talks to resume.

He provided no specific timelines on restarting negotiations, but said the issue was likely to dominate when the UN General Assembly meets later this month.

AFP contributed to this report.



top