Couple trapped in their home in Houston, Texas

Firefighters were called to the scene when neighbors reported smoke billowing out of the elderly Jewish couple's apartment.

Haim Lev ,

Fire (Illustration)
Fire (Illustration)
Reuters

A Jewish couple in their 70s, who live in Houston, Texas, were trapped in their home Friday night when their apartment went up in flames.

Firefighters were called to the scene by frantic neighbors, who reported seeing smoke coming out of the windows of the apartment. They broke in, and worked to put out the blaze.

For the wife, though, it was too late: deeply injured by the fire, she succumbed to her wounds and passed away.

Her husband has been admitted to a local hospital in critical condition.

The incident elicited great shock and grief in the local Jewish community, as the couple is a well liked and integral part of the Houston Jewish community.



top