Denmark charges four in synagogue attack

Four men held in connection with attack on Copenhagen main synagogue charged with a terror offence. Their trial will begin March 10.

Arutz Sheva Staff,

Candles in Copenhagen
Candles in Copenhagen
Reuters

Four men, held in connection with last year’s twin gun attacks in Copenhagen, were on Wednesday charged with a terror offence, the justice ministry said, according to AFP.

"Justice Minister Soren Pind decided today to charge four men with complicity in an act of terrorism over the attack on the Copenhagen synagogue in February last year," the ministry said in a statement, adding that the trial would get underway on March 10.

On February 14, 2015 Omar El-Hussein, a Danish national of Palestinian origin, opened fire on a cultural center in Copenhagen which was hosting a debate on freedom of expression.

A  Danish filmmaker was shot dead in that attack.

El-Hussein then went on to Copenhagen’s main synagogue, where he killed a 37-year-old Jewish man outside the building.

El-Hussein, 22, was killed in a shootout with police hours after the attacks.

Five suspected accomplices aged from 19 to 31, were arrested in the aftermath of the attacks.

Four were charged Wednesday and the fifth was released from custody last month.

The targets of the Copenhagen attacks, the freedom of expression debate centered around cartoons of the prophet Mohammed and a synagogue, drew comparisons with the jihadist attacks in January last year when the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket were targeted.

AFP contributed to this report.




top