Operation Protective Edge
Hamas Asks for Another 'Humanitarian Ceasefire'

Reeling from IAF strikes, Hamas flip-flops once again on truce deal - and allegedly retracts some demands for leverage.

Shlomo Pitrikovsky , | updated: 1:38 PM

IDF forces in Gaza
IDF forces in Gaza
Flash 90

Hamas has allegedly changed its mind about rejecting a "humanitarian ceasefire" with Israel, according to several reports, and have turned to United Nations (UN) envoy to the Middle East Robert Serry to ask for an additional 24-hour truce, beginning at 2:00 pm.

"In response to the UN's intervention request to monitor the situation... it has been agreed between the resistance factions that a 24-hour humanitarian truce will start from 2:00 pm (1100 GMT)," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.

The Political-Security Cabinet is currently meeting on the issue, according to Channel 2.

Hamas's requests surfaces just hours after Israel retaliated for more rocket fire on Israel, after at least eleven rockets were fired at major Israeli cities between 8:00 am and 9:30 am.

Hamas fired at least eleven rockets on Israel Sunday morning, despite Israel's announcement late Saturday that it would extend a humanitarian ceasefire called on Saturday until Sunday at 9:00 pm. 

Several rockets were shot down over Petah Tikva, Ashdod, and Gan Yavne by the Iron Dome missile defense system; shrapnel was scattered over the greater Petah Tikva area. One motorcyclist was injured as he tried to pull to the side of the road during an air raid siren in the Sharon-area city. 

At least five rockets also fell in open area in the South; one car was damaged, but no injuries were reported. 

To propose the ceasefire, Hamas has allegedly agreed to retract its own demands for a truce, including withdrawing IDF troops from Gaza.

Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal declared on Wednesday that Israel must accept his list of unprecedented conditions for a ceasefire in order for any truce to be implemented. Many of the demands include, effectively, lifting all travel and import restrictions in Gaza and re-releasing arrested terrorists. 

The IDF halted fire for several hours early in the operation in a humanitarian ceasefire, but Hamas took advantage of this and continued to attack Israel.