Israeli airstrikes in Gaza
Israeli airstrikes in GazaReuters

Two people have been injured from shrapnel falling in the Sdot HaNegev region, it was announced Friday afternoon. 

The IDF confirmed that one soldier was lightly injured and a civilian - Sapir College director Dr. Nachmi Paz - was moderately wounded. Dr. Paz is being treated for his injuries in Soroka Medical Center in Be'er Sheva for shrapnel wounds to his leg. 

Earlier, a senior government officials stated to Arutz Sheva that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon had authorized the IDF to retaliate with force to a barrage of over 18 rockets on Israeli civilians Friday morning. 

The report surfaces less than one hour after Palestinian media sources reported possible airstrikes in northern Gaza.

IDF Spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner confirmed both reports close to 11:00 am Friday. 

“The renewed rocket attacks by terrorists at Israel are unacceptable, intolerable and shortsighted," Lerner added. "Hamas’ bad decision to breach the ceasefire will be pursued by the IDF, we will continue to strike Hamas, its infrastructure, its operatives and restore security for the State of Israel.”

Seconds later, the IDF Spokesperson's Office tweeted a confirmation, adding that it is "targeting terror sites" in Gaza. 

"The IDF remains alert and maintains a high level of preparedness with both defensive capabilities, and striking capabilities in order to address the renewed aggression," the IDF added, in a press release. "The IDF is determined to defend the civilians of the state of Israel."

A military spokeswoman told AFP that no Israeli soldiers entered Gaza to carry out the strikes.

There has been "no change on the ground," she said.

Senior government officials also added that the Israeli delegation to Cairo has been recalled, and already landed in Israel as of 7:00 am Friday morning.

The announcement, if true, surfaces after several ministers called for an end to the negotiations, which Hamas and Islamic Jihad have insisted would continue despite continuing to fire rockets on Israel and despite rejecting an extension of a 72-hour ceasefire. 

Despite this, the Israeli Embassy announced Friday afternoon that humanitarian aid to Gaza would continue. 

"Israel will continue to transfer humanitarian aid to Gaza as the security situation permits & despite Hamas's refusal to extend the ceasefire," it tweeted.