Lior Farhi Hy"d
Lior Farhi Hy"dCourtesy: the family

Lod District Court judges Mehachem Finkelstein, Liora Brody and Rami Amir sentenced Arkan Badir, who killed Kior Farhi Hy”d, the security officer of Shaarei Tikva, to eight years in jail on Thursday.

Badir was convicted in a plea bargain in December, which involved Badir confessing to committing the crime, and the prosecution changing the charge from murder to manslaughter.

The murder took place on September 9, 2012, when Badir tried to enter one of the communities next to the Maavar Shomron checkpoint, in order to transport infiltrators illegally through a gap in the security barrier. Farhi tried to stop Badir, who instead accelerated his vehicle and ran over Farhi, and then drove away.

A MDA-Yarkon team that reached the scene gave Farhi initial treatment and tried to resuscitate him. He was taken to Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva with multi-trauma, where he was pronounced dead.

Badir was also convicted of attempting to ferry an infiltrator, abandoning a victim after hitting him and interfering with court procedures.

Adam Halley, a security coordinator from nearby Ginot Shomron, told Arutz Sheva after Farhi's death that he saw Farhi as having died a soldier's death. “He put his life in danger as we all do, every single day, protecting his community, and he was absolutely struck down in the line of duty by an Arab terrorist who happened to use a vehoicle as opposed to a bomb or gun.”

Farhi left behind a pregnant wife, Naomi, and three children.

Israel HaYom reported after the murder that on his last mission, Farhi was accompanied by an IDF officer and by a friend, Dvir Carmon. Farhi asked Carmon to help him videotape illegal activity by an Arab smuggler who helps infiltrators from the Palestinian Authority cross into Israeli territory.

"Lior took his work seriously. We called him 'Mr. Security,'" said Carmon. "He wanted to raise consciousness regarding this problem."

Carmon placed his car at the side of the road, and in order to avoid the Arabs' suspicion, the two raised the hood and pretended to have engine problems. "I started taking pictures of the lookouts signaling to the Palestinians when it is safe to cross, and the people who wait and then run toward the fence and enter an Israeli car that awaited them nearby," he recounted.

"Lior told me to move forward with the car and went out to close the hood. Suddenly we saw a male and female soldier running toward the Palestinians, and the [Arab] car driving toward the soldiers. Lior shouted to me – "the soldiers!" – and started running at the vehicle.

"He drew his gun and stood on the road, signaling the car to stop. He thought that the vehicle was about to run down the soldiers. I saw that the driver noticed him, veered off of the lane in which he was driving toward the soldiers, turning and starting to drive toward Lior. It was a matter of seconds. Lior aimed him gun and the car, instead of slowing down, sped up in Lior's direction and ran him down."

Attempts to resuscitate Farhi were unsuccessful. "He was in serious condition," said Carmon. "He simply died in my arms."