Gross family, after recovery (illustration)
Gross family, after recovery (illustration)Flash90

The parents of the two boys who survived a near-fatal poisoning incident earlier this year, the Gross family, is hosting a "dinner of gratitude" (Hebrew: seudat hodaya) in the Aish HaTorah Yeshiva (Torah Academy) on Tuesday, in honor of their sons' survival. 

The Gross family poisoning occurred after an exterminator left a highly toxic material, phosphine, in the apartment's reinforced security room, also known as the "mamad."

Apparently, the security room's seal was less effective than the storage requirements for the chemical require, and the poison spread throughout the apartment.

Rescue officials at the scene were shocked to discover that the chemical's toxicity was at the highest levels of the spectrum. The exterminator, Yosef Nataf, was arrested and an investigation launched. 

The entire Gross family was poisoned within a few days of the chemical being released. Parents Shimon and Michal only recently finished the traditional shiva Jewish mourning period for their two girls, Yael and Avigail (2 and 4), who were killed in the poisoning; they also stayed in Schneider Medical Center to monitor the recovery of their sons, Michael (7) and Yitzhak (5), who were critically ill for weeks due to the phosphine's effects.

The Gross family finally went home after their ordeal in mid-February, after the boys' conditions had made significant improvement. Just last week, the family has announced, the boys have also returned to normal life - including school, where they were greeted enthusiastically by teachers and classmates.