The Amigour Company, a quasi-governmental housing company aligned with the Housing Ministry, sold a Haifa synagogue and all its contents to an Arab, according to a report by Yeshiva World News.
Located at 31 Jaffa Street in lower Haifa, the synagogue paid rent to Amigour before shutting down six years ago. When regular operations and rental payments ceased at the synagogue, Amigour decided to sell the synagogue and all of its contents, including Jewish holy books and furniture.
The entrance to the shul is reportedly closed and welded shut, and still contains the Torah ark, though there is no Torah inside. According to the HaModia Orthodox Jewish newspaper, the property was sold to a local Arab despite the fact that Jews expressed an interest in purchasing the property. The paper also stated that no one was aware of an organized tender announcing the synagogue's sale.
Amigour, which was established in 1949, a year after the inception of the Jewish State, is owned by the Jewish Agency, the Jewish National Fund (JNF), and the Israeli government.