The Ramallah Lynching
The Ramallah Lynching

IDF soldiers have arrested the last of the Palestinian Authority (PA) terrorists responsible for the brutal lynching of two IDF reservists in Ramallah seven years ago.

Soldiers apprehended 36-year-old Tanzim terrorist Hayman Zaben in Shechem early Wednesday.  Zaben was one of those responsible for bludgeoning to death IDF reservists Vadim Nurzitz and Yossi Avrahami in a PA police station in Ramallah in October, 2000.

The two Israeli reserve soldiers had accidentally entered PA-controlled Ramallah, just six miles north of Jerusalem, and were arrested by PA police. It was once they were in custody that the lynch occurred.

TV images of the lynching show a body of one of the two Israelis being tossed from the police station window to a mob of local Arabs who beat the soldiers’ bodies with anything they could get their hands on. The mob is seen waving body parts in the air and proudly displaying their blood-soaked hands to their comrades.

(Warning: Video is extremely graphic)

Zaben the Seventeenth Arrest

Zaben is the seventeenth terrorist to be arrested in the murder, though a huge mob had assembled and took part.

In 2001, fifteen men were arrested in connection to the lynching, including Aziz Salha, the man photographed displaying his blood-soaked hands out the window of the PA police station. From the nearby village of Deir Jarir, he was in Ramallah that day and admitted running to the police station once he heard that Jews had been apprehended. He said he took part in strangling the men to death while others beat them.

Fatah Tanzim terrorist Muhammad Howara was also arrested in 2001. He admitted to entering the police station and stabbing the men. He is from the village of Mazra’a Kabalya.

In 2005, Mohamed Abu Ida was arrested. He was the PA policeman/terrorist who brought the men to the station, where he handed them over to the lynch mob. He then joined the mob in murdering the men. He had escaped to Egypt following the incident and was arrested upon his return to Gaza, where he lived.

Another terrorist involved was Nasser Abu Hamiyad. He had been released from an Israeli prison as a good-will gesture in the context of the Oslo Accords and later took part in the Ramallah lynch. Two years later he also organized an attack on Jerusalem’s Neve Yaakov neighborhood, murdering a female police officer and wounding 10. On March 5, 2002, he orchestrated an attack on the Seafood Market in Tel Aviv, murdering Israelis Eliyahu Dahan and Yossi Havi, and wounding 31.