Daily Israel Report

Tuesday´s Terrorists Were Released From Israeli Prison

It was learned today that the suicide terrorists who perpetrated the two attacks had been incarcerated in Israeli prisons as "administrative detainees." A terrorist victim's father comments.

First Publish: 9/11/2003, 7:24 PM

It was learned today that the suicide terrorists who perpetrated the two attacks had been incarcerated in Israeli prisons as "administrative detainees." The two were released within two weeks of each other just over a half-year ago.

Dr. Aryeh Bachrach of Beit El, a leading activist on behalf of terrorism victims, commented today on the above news. The father of one of the first of the 1,108 terrorist victims since the signing of the Oslo Agreements ten years ago, Dr. Bachrach said, "A few weeks ago, when the government released a large group of administrative detainees as part of the 'hudna' gestures towards Abu Mazen, I and Yoel Tzur [who lost his wife and son to terrorists in late 1996] went to Justice Minister Tommy Lapid and told him that 'even Attorney-General Rubenstein said that most of these terrorists return to their evil ways - none of them ever became a 'baal-teshuvah' [penitent]. They must not be released! It's totally irrelevant whether they have blood on their hands or not. And even if you think, not like we do, that they are like war prisoners - whoever heard of releasing war prisoners while the war is still going on?! What, will you go to the bereaved fa milie s and tell them that they were 'sacrifices of peace?' You will have to say that they were 'sacrifices of an experiment!' How will you be able to look them in the eyes and say that?!'"

Dr. Bachrach's son Ohad was murdered with his friend Ori Shachor while on a hike in Wadi Kelt near Jericho over eight years ago. "The three murderers escaped to Jericho," Dr. Bachrach said today, "and were never caught. Arafat put them in jail for a few weeks, but they were let go in the notorious 'revolving door' policy, and they have been free ever since."