Uprooting In Yesha Put On Hold

The police had begun to uproot another outpost in Yesha this morning when the Supreme Court issued a restraining order at approximately 1:15 - and the dismantling work, for the most part, stopped.

Contact Editor

Eyewitnesses on the scene reported that despite the order, the forces attempted to dismantle one of the five caravans at the site - during which time some violence was registered - but did not succeed. At least two of the resisters were hurt and taken to a hospital. Over 20 people were arrested, including - briefly - Binyamin Council Regional Head Pinchas Wallerstein and Yesha Council spokesman Yehoshua Mor-Yosef. Tensions continued to be high until several hours later, when Supreme Court Justice Salim Jubran issued a final court ruling ordering all dismantling work stopped until Sunday.

The outpost in question is named Maaleh Gideon, named after recent terrorist victim Gideon Lichterman. It is a neighborhood in the eastern Binyamin community of Adei Ad, east of Shvut Rachel and Shilo. Despite the sudden nature of the attempted dismantling, and the roadblocks set up by the army, dozens of Land of Israel loyalists were able to reach the area.

None of the five caravans, which are all connected to water and electricity lines, were damaged. During the course of a phone interview with people at the site, the voices of dozens of people could be heard singing, "May the Temple be Rebuilt." Five families live in the outpost, as well as several bachelors, comprising the teaching staff of the local school.

Adei Ad, where 17 families currently live, was founded in October 1998. It was one of the outposts that then-Prime Minister Ehud Barak wished to uproot in October 1999 - but was allowed to stand as part of the ensuing compromise that was reached with the Yesha Council.

Some 10 miles to the southwest, the army removed two industrial containers from an outpost near Talmon. Many local residents attempted to prevent the action, but did not succeed. No violence was reported.