Alleged accomplice of Strasbourg attacker charged

French anti-terrorist court charges man for allegedly supplying a revolver used in last week’s shooting attack.

Ben Ariel,

Police and rescue workers near scene of shooting in Strasbourg
Police and rescue workers near scene of shooting in Strasbourg
Reuters

A French anti-terrorist court on Monday charged a man who was arrested for allegedly supplying a revolver used in last week’s shooting attack at a Christmas market in Strasbourg, AFP reported, citing a judicial source.

The 37-year-old, who was not immediately identified, was ordered to be held in detention on charges of association with a terrorist conspiracy and weapons possession, the source said.

The man, initially arrested on Thursday, is suspected of helping to provide the pistol made at the end of the 19th century used by Cherif Chekatt who murdered five people and wounded 11 others in last week’s attack.

Chekatt, who was on a list of possible extremist security risks, was shot and killed by police after a two-day manhunt in the city.

The alleged associate appeared before a judge in Paris, the prosecutors' office in the capital said.

Six other people detained in the wake of Tuesday's attack, including Chekatt's parents and two of his brothers, have been released without charge.

After Chekatt was eliminated, the Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying in its propaganda news agency Amaq that Chekatt was an ISIS "soldier" who "carried out the operation in response to call to target citizens of the international coalition."

The ISIS claim was dismissed, however, by French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.

Chekatt's father, Abdelkrim, told France 2 television Saturday night that his son believed the Islamic State "fought for a good cause".

"I always told him they were criminals," his father added.




top