Doctors fighting to save the life of baby born after Ofra attack

Mother wounded in drive-by shooting attack still in serious condition as doctors work to save her new-born son's life.

Eliran Aharon ,

Woman wounded in Ofra attack evacuated to Shaare Zedek Hospital
Woman wounded in Ofra attack evacuated to Shaare Zedek Hospital
Hadas Parush/Flash90

Several victims of Sunday night’s terrorist attack outside of Ofra, north of Jerusalem, remain hospitalized at the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem, including a 30-year-old woman critically wounded in the attack, as well as her new-born son.

Doctors at Shaare Zedek delivered the child, who was in the 30th week of pregnancy, via an emergency caesarian section, after the mother was evacuated to the hospital in critical condition.

The woman had suffered multiple gunshot wounds in Sunday night’s attack. Her husband was also wounded in the drive-by shooting.

On Monday, Dr. Alon Schwartz, a senior surgeon at Shaare Zedek’s trauma unit, said that the mother’s condition had stabilized, while her new-born son’s condition had deteriorated, raising concerns about possible neurological damage.

“The pregnant mother who gave birth in an emergency situation, and the child she gave birth to, are being treated here at the hospital. The mother is in the intensive care ward, and her condition has stabilized following surgery she underwent overnight, and basically, we’re satisfied with the results,” said Dr. Schwartz.

“There already is no active bleeding. We’re continuing to provide supportive care, and over the course of the next few days, we will try to take her off the respirator and the medications she’s receiving.”

“She has a long way to go, and wounds like these are very complicated and we have a lot of challenges ahead of us, but we will do everything to get through the processes in the proper manner and to get her off of the treatment she’s currently receiving.”

Regarding the infant’s condition, Dr. Schwartz seemed less optimistic, saying that the hospital staff was “fighting for his life”.

“His condition deteriorated overnight, and he is being treated with medication to sustain his blood pressure and is [on] assisted breathing. We’re concerned about possible neurological damage. He has undergone imaging tests, and we’re fighting for his life.”

A total of six people were wounded Sunday night, when terrorists opened fire from a vehicle as it passed by the bus stop on Route 60, next to the Israeli town of Ofra, north of Jerusalem.

The terrorists fled the scene immediately after the attack, and Israeli security personnel are currently searching for the perpetrators.