White House:
'Trump had nothing to do with Deputy FBI Director's departure'

White House press secretary says Trump wasn't part of Andrew McCabe's decision to step down.

Ben Ariel,

Andrew McCabe
Andrew McCabe
Reuters

The White House made clear on Monday that President Donald Trump had nothing to do with Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe's departure from the law enforcement agency.

“I can say that the president wasn’t a part of this decision-making process," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters, according to The Hill.

She referred questions on the matter to the FBI, which she said would be putting out a statement.

McCabe's resignation came after he had come under withering criticism from Trump for what the president said was McCabe's role in politicizing the top levels of the FBI.

He had been expected to retire in March, but news broke on Monday that he would be leaving early, possibly through the use of vacation time.

Asked about Trump's criticism of McCabe, Sanders said he “stands by his previous comments.”

McCabe oversaw the investigation into former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she served as Secretary of State.

He also played a central role in the FBI’s probe into Russia's election meddling during the presidential race.

In addition, McCabe's wife received more than $400,000 in campaign donations from a group controlled by then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a close Clinton ally, in her failed 2015 bid for the state Senate.

That revelation drew the ire of Trump, who reportedly asked McCabe during an Oval Office meeting who he voted for in the 2016 election. Trump denied asking the question while speaking last week with reporters.

Sanders on Monday conceded the White House had some "concerns" with McCabe's decisions, but declined to describe the president's reaction to his departure.


More Arutz Sheva videos:


top