Sweden: Suspect in attack on synagogue released

One of two men held over firebomb attack on Gothenburg synagogue released due to insufficient evidence.

Ben Ariel,

Police outside synagogue in Gothenburg, Sweden
Police outside synagogue in Gothenburg, Sweden
Reuters

One of two men held for allegedly throwing firebombs at a synagogue in the Swedish city of Gothenburg has been released, a Swedish prosecutor said Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

The prosecutor, Stina Lundqvist, said the 18-year-old man, who was not further identified in line with Swedish practice, remains a suspect in the attack in Sweden's second largest city.

She said there was not sufficient evidence to keep him jailed while police investigate the attack.

The firebomb attack took place as Jewish students were holding a party inside the synagogue. A fire broke out between parked vehicles outside the synagogue but there were no injuries.

The Swedish prosecution alleges that the motive for the attack is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

A report last week said two of the three suspects who were arrested in connection with the firebomb attack are a Palestinian Arab who arrived in Sweden in 2014 and a Syrian who has been in the country since 2015.

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven condemned the attack in Gothenburg and denounced anti-Semitism.

“I am outraged by the attack on the synagogue in Gothenburg yesterday and that violence against Jews was incited at a demonstration in Malmö. There is no place for anti-Semitism in Swedish society. The perpetrators must be held to account. All democratic forces must now work together to build a tolerant and open society in which everyone feels safe,” he said.








top