Trump won't block release of JFK assassination files

US President Trump says 'subject to receipt of further information,' he won't block the release of classified JFK document.

Contact Editor
Arutz Sheva Staff,

John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy
iStock

US President Donald Trump on Saturday said that "subject to the receipt of further information," he will not block the release of classified government documents on the assassination of former US President John F. Kennedy (JFK).

Kennedy was shot by a sniper in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963. Most of the documents pertaining to the assassination have already been released. However, 30,000 were released with redactions, and an additional 3,000 were never released.

In 1992, Congress ruled all documents be released within 25 years, unless the US President decides to block their release. If Trump does not object, the classified files will be opened by the US National Archives on October 26.

"Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened," Trump tweeted.

In a statement to Politico earlier this week, a White House spokesperson said the administration was working to ensure that "the maximum amount of data" can be released to the public.

According to The Washington Post, an unnamed National Security Council official said federal agencies requested Trump not release a number of files, since they involved sources and methods used by those agencies.








top