Death toll in Syrian war passes 300,000

More than 300,000 people have been killed in Syria since March 2011, according to latest toll by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Ben Ariel,

Destruction in Deir Ezzor
Destruction in Deir Ezzor
Reuters

More than 300,000 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict since March 2011, a monitor said in a new toll Tuesday, the first full day of an internationally-brokered truce.

More than 86,000 civilians were among the 301,781 people killed, according to the numbers provided by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and quoted by AFP.

The civilian toll includes 15,099 children and 10,018 women, the Britain-based monitoring group said.

Rebel fighters made up 52,359 of those killed.

A total of 59,006 Syrian soldiers have been killed, in addition to 48,048 other pro-government fighters from countries including Iraq, Iran and Lebanon as well as Syria.

Jihadists of the Islamic State (ISIS) group and the onetime Al-Qaeda affiliate now renamed the Fateh al-Sham Front accounted for 52,031 of the dead.

The Observatory said another 3,645 victims could not be identified.

The figure is an increase of nearly 9,000 on the last death toll published by the Observatory in early August.

It comes one day after a ceasefire brokered by the United States and Russia came into force.

Under the deal, fighting will halt across areas not held by jihadists and aid deliveries to besieged areas will begin, with government and rebel forces ensuring unimpeded humanitarian access to Aleppo in particular.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Monday the ceasefire “may be the last chance that one has to save a united Syria.”

The United Nations and the major powers have made repeated efforts to end the bloodshed in Syria but all have so far failed.




top