Jerusalem Man Electrocuted Building Sukkah

82-year-old critically wounded during preparations for upcoming Jewish holiday, medics on scene 'miraculously' save his life.

Ari Yashar ,

Sukkah building (illustration)
Sukkah building (illustration)
Flash 90

The festive preparations for the Sukkot holiday that begins next Sunday were tragically marred on Thursday afternoon, as a 82-year-old man in Jerusalem was electrocuted while building his sukkah, a traditional booth Jews dwell in during the seven-day holiday.

The tragic mishap took place on Ariel Street, located just north of Central Station in the heart of the capital.

After being electrocuted during the construction of his sukkah, the unfortunate man was left critically wounded.

United Hatzalah paramedics rushed to the scene and gave him medical treatment, while performing resuscitation procedures to try and save his life.

After his heart began beating again, the man was evacuated to Shaare Tzedek Hospital in Jerusalem, while on artificial respiration and after being placed in a medically-induced coma.

Moshe Levy, head of the logistics branch of United Hatzalah, said, "I reached the scene within less than half-a-minute from the time the call was received, after being at the entrance to the United Hatzalah's offices that were adjacent (to the scene)."

"Together with other volunteers from the motorcycle unit of United Hatzalah we conducted advanced resuscitation techniques on him, after he apparently was electrocuted while building a sukkah."

"Miraculously the resuscitation was successful, and when his pulse returned he was evacuated in an emergency treatment vehicle," added Levy.




top