Child Killed in Beit Shemesh Fire Identified

Seven year-old Daniel Nachman Biton named as child dead from Beit Shemesh fire - possibly from hannukiot left unattended.

Uzi Baruch,

Scene of Beit Shemesh fire
Scene of Beit Shemesh fire
Magen David Adom

Daniel Nachman Biton has been named as the 7 year old boy who died in a fire overnight Tuesday/Wednesday in Beit Shemesh, it was cleared for publication Wednesday. Initial reports stated that the boy was 10 years old. 

The boy’s father, aged 45, was seriously injured in the fire and taken to the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem. Four other people suffered moderate and minor injuries, including the mother of the family, aged 45, an 11-year-old boy, a five-year-old girl, and another man.

The family's grandfather was rescued from the house in a wheelchair with his caregiver before the rest of the family was rescued, it has now been revealed. The caregiver is suffering from acute anxiety as a result of the attack.

The boy's funeral will take place Thursday at 3:00 pm at the local Beit Shemesh cemetery. 

First Sergeant Kobi Erez, a spokesman for the Jerusalem District Fire and Rescue Services, described the scene Wednesday.

"At 12:14 am a call came in to the fire station in Beit Shemesh that a fire had broken out on the ground floor of the apartment," Erez said. "A firefighting team left the scene seconds after the call. At 12:16, after two minutes, the team came to the scene and found the apartment, as well as an outdoor pergola, in an advanced state of fire. The firefighters risked their lives greatly, entered the apartment via two entrances to save the family and sadly saw that a child had died in the tragic fire." 

"At this point, firefighters evacuated out of the danger zone, and Magen David Adom medics declared the child dead," he continued.

According to Channel 10, the fire was caused by several Hannukah candelabras being left unattended in the apartment. The candles were lit in a room adjacent to the child's bedroom, and fire spread after the entire family had gone to sleep, leaving the flames still burning. 








top