'Sharp Messages' to Hamas after Rocket Fire

Prime minister and defense minister's warning caused Hamas to arrest five suspects, says security source.

Gil Ronen, Ido Ben Porat,

Rockets fired from Gaza
Rockets fired from Gaza
Reuters

A senior security source said Sunday afternoon that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon send “sharp messages” to Hamas following the firing of a rocket at the Eshkol region Friday night.

The source added that Hamas arrested five suspects in the firing of the rocket and sent a message to Jerusalem according to which the organization is committed to the ceasefire. Israel closed the passages into Gaza and Hamas may be afraid of a military response.

Israel announced on Saturday night that the Kerem Shalom and Erez crossings into Gaza will be closed on Sunday, following Friday night’s rocket attack on the Eshkol region.

The crossings will only be opened for passage of goods and people in humanitarian cases, according to the announcement.

Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzouk called the closing of the passages "a childish and irresponsible act," and "collective punishment on the Gaza Strip which violates all international laws, including the terms of the ceasefire agreement." 

The rocket fired Friday night was detected by the IDF’s tracking system. It exploded in an open region, likely within Gaza and not in Israeli territory, and for this reason the “red alert” rocket siren was not heard.

There were no reports of physical injuries or damages.

Friday’s incident marks the second time since the end of last summer’s Operation Protective Edge that Gaza terrorists have attempted rocket fire towards Israel.

Last month, a mortar attack was launched by Gazan terrorists against southern Israel, in breach of a ceasefire signed in August. Hamas, which breached numerous ceasefires during the operation, denied responsibility for the attack and later announced it had arrested the perpetrators.

The sides were supposed to resume Egyptian mediated talks on a permanent ceasefire, but Egypt announced this week that the talks would be postponed until mid-November.








top