Egypt 'Awaiting' Israel's Response to Month-Long Ceasefire

Senior sources in Cairo say Egypt is still waiting for Israel to respond to its proposal for a month-long in Gaza.

Contact Editor
Elad Benari,

Rockets fired from Gaza
Rockets fired from Gaza

Egypt is reportedly offering Hamas and Israel a new, month-long ceasefire, but Israel has yet to agree, media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Army Radio, as part of the emerging truce, Israel will open the border crossings to Gaza and slightly increase the fishing area off the coast of Gaza.

Senior sources in Cairo were quoted in the report as having said that "Egypt awaits the Israeli response to the offer to hold fire for a month."

According to the sources, the Palestinian side has agreed to the proposal.

Diplomatic sources in Jerusalem meanwhile, were quoted by Army Radio as having said that Hamas must first of all officially approve the Egyptian proposal and then Israel will give provide its answer.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said on Monday night that the Egyptian-mediated talks were progressing, but that Israel has yet to present a reply to the latest offer.

"Until now we have not received an Israeli answer to the formula presented by Egypt", Abu Zuhri told the Al Jazeera network, adding that "the ball is in Israel's court."

"If the enemy wants to continue negotiations under fire, we are also prepared for this possibility, but we prefer that the negotiations are exhausted and for a ceasefire to be agreed upon.”

Earlier Monday it was reported that Israel was set to accept the indefinite ceasefire with Gazan terrorist groups, which will last for a minimum of one month.

An Israeli source told the Walla! news website that the ceasefire would be an “open-ended" one.

Meanwhile, the rocket fire from Gaza continued on Monday. 130 rockets were fired from Gaza throughout the day, of which 16 were intercepted by the Iron Dome system.

One rocket exploded next to a swimming pool in a community in the Eshkol region. It caused damage to the facility but hurt no one. Other rockets exploded in open areas.