Report: Kerry Rejected Abbas Offer for New Talks
US Secretary of State John Kerry told Palestinian Authority (PA) chairman Mahmoud Abbas in their latest London meeting that it is impossible for Israel to declare a three-month construction moratorium, because the move would cause the collapse of the government coalition, reports Gulf News.
A report published in the Palestinian Arab daily, Al Quds, cites a senior Palestinian Arab official as saying that Kerry had categorically refused a proposal submitted by Abbas to resume peace talks if Israel agreed to halt its construction in Judea and Samaria for three months.
Meanwhile, Chief Palestinian Negotiator Saeb Erekat told a political seminar in the town of Yatta, near Hevron, that the Palestinian Arabs are ready to resume the peace talks with Israel effective immediately if Israel releases the fourth batch of terrorist murderers and halts its construction activities.
“Kerry did not offer President Abbas in London anything in writing on the resumption of the peace talks. Nothing so far is clear about the resumption of the peace talks,” he said. “Palestine will officially be part of the Hague Convention of 1907 on June 2. This convention is a central ingredient of the international law and it is a binding for all parties which signed and those which did not.”
"Applying for the international institutions and the Palestinian internal reconciliation in a way which does not bother Israel are the two main cards which the Palestinians hold in hand,” Ghassan Al Khatib, a political analyst and former spokesman for the PA, told Gulf News. “The impasse will force the Palestinians to play those two cards, but gradually.”