Several soldiers have been dismissed from their roles in the IDF following last month’s “friendly fire” incident in which 21-year-old Captain Tal Nahman was killed.
IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz on Thursday received the results of the investigation into the incident, which occurred during a routine operation to prevent the placement of explosives on the Gaza security fence and infiltration by Gazan terrorists.
The investigation found that the direct cause for the firing towards Nahman was a case of mistaken identity. It also became clear from the investigation that the preparation process for the operation was not carried out properly and that there were failures in planning and executing the mission.
In light of the findings, Gantz and the Head of Southern Command, Maj. Gen. Sami Turjeman, decided to dismiss the soldier who shot Nahman from his role as a fighter. The company commander was dismissed as well and will not be permitted to hold any command positions in the future
The battalion commander was relieved of a command role but allowed to return in the future.
“This was a tragic operational incident in which we lost a wonderful man, an officer and a quality fighter,” Gantz said Thursday.
The findings and conclusions of the investigation have been handed to the Nahman family, and the IDF Spokesperson said that the IDF “expresses its condolences to the family and will continue to assist it.”