Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu repeated his long-held positions regarding Iran's nuclear weapons program as he addressed his Cabinet Sunday – and as the P5+1 powers readied for another round of talks with Iran.
"The major powers' talks with Iran will resume this week,” Netanyahu told his ministers. “Until now, it must be said, it is Iran which has gained without giving anything significant. It has received a major easing of sanctions and the Iranian economy is already responding appropriately.
“Iran is also continuing its aggressive policy both inside Iran and outside Iran. Inside Iran, it is executing innocent people. Outside Iran, it supports the continued killings by the Syrian regime, which would be unable to act without it, without its support,” he said.
“Iran is also continuing to arm terrorist organizations with advanced, deadly weapons and, of course, it is continuing to call for the destruction of the State of Israel,” Netanyahu went on. “At the same time, Iran is continuing with advanced research and development of centrifuges. Iran is not prepared to concede even one centrifuge.
"Israel's policy is clear and is active on two tracks,” he explained. “First, to expose Iran's unchanging aggressive policy. Second, to demand the dismantling of Iran's enrichment capacity. Iran does not need any centrifuges for nuclear power for civilian purposes.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said last week that Tehran and six the major world powers will have “difficult” negotiations in Vienna this week. The top Iranian nuclear negotiator described the nation’s support for Iran’s team as “very important.”
Zarif added that the Iranian negotiating team would leave for Vienna on Monday, February 17, a few days after the anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, and this is the reason that “it needs the support of the nation.”
“This reality is that Westerners and the Americans set aside their years-old claims and broke their red lines on Iran’s nuclear activities,” Zarif said.