Mubarak to Face New Trial in Egypt
Egypt’s former President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons will face a new trial for using state funds to acquire personal property, judicial sources said Sunday, according to AFP.
Mubarak and his two sons, Alaa and Gamal, are accused of using 125 million Egyptian pounds ($18 million), which had been allocated for presidential palaces by the ministry of housing, for personal purchases.
Four others are accused in the same case, the sources said, adding that the date for the trial has yet to be set.
Mubarak is already facing a retrial on charges of complicity in the deaths of protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his more than three decades of rule.
His sons are also on trial in a separate corruption case.
Mubarak and his former interior minister Habib al-Adly were sentenced to life in prison in June of 2012 for failing to prevent the deaths of over 800 protesters during the 18-day uprising that began on January 25, 2011.
The court later accepted Mubarak’s appeal and ordered a retrial, but the former President remained behind bars because other corruption charges were filed against him. In August, following the ouster of Mubarak’s successor Mohammed Morsi, an Egyptian court ordered Mubarak’s release, after these charges were dismissed.
Mubarak was subsequently released from prison and taken to a military International Medical Center.