Suicide Bombing Rocks US Consulate in Herat
The US Consulate in the Afghan city of Herat has been the target of a suicide bombing.
In an email to CNN, the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack of which details are continuing to emerge.
According to media reports, a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb outside the consulate in the north west of the country at around dawn on Friday.
An Afghan army spokesman was quoted as saying several Afghan police as well as a consulate guard were killed in the attack as Taliban gunmen opened fire after the bombing.
US deputy State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf also said the attack including a fierce gunfight had badly damaged the front gate of the consulate.
"Full details are not known of the extent of the attack at this point, but the attack is currently over," Harf said.
Herat had been relatively free of Taliban attacks following a major US offensive against the terrorist group in 2001.