Daily Israel Report
More

Zion's Corner Blogs


Burgas Suspect Flew to Lebanon – Report

Polish news report strengthens claim that the terror attack was carried out by Hizbullah.
By Arutz Sheva
First Publish: 8/1/2013, 4:25 PM

Suspects in Burgas attack
Suspects in Burgas attack
Bulgaria Police

A man suspected in the coordinating of a bus bombing in the Bulgarian city of Burgas last year flew to Lebanon two days before the attack, Haaretz reported Thursday, citing Polish news website tvn24.pl.

The Polish website said, without naming its sources, that Meliad Farah, a 32-year-old Australian citizen of Lebanese origin, took Polish national carrier LOT's flight LO 145 from Warsaw to Beirut, on July 16, 2012.

Earlier on the same day, Farah, also known as Hussein Hussein, had flown to Warsaw from Prague on flight LO 526, the website said.

Bulgaria said last month it believed Lebanese terror group Hizbullah was behind the July 18, 2012, bus bombing that killed five Israeli holidaymakers. Israel, the U.S. and several European countries have expressed the same similar conviction.

The fact that one of the prime suspects flew to Lebanon so near to the date of the bombing, would appear to strengthen the claim that Hizbullah was behind the attack.

Bulgarian prosecutors allege that Farah and a second man, Hassan El Hajj Hassan, provided the explosive device and logistical support, while a third man carried out the bombing itself, and died in the explosion.

Dariusz Slepokura, spokesman for the regional prosecutor's office in Warsaw, said Bulgaria had asked Polish authorities at the beginning of March to look into information that one of the suspects had stayed in Poland.