Daily Israel Report

Romney Camp: Obama 'Misled American People' on Libya Attack

Romney campaign accused Obama of misleading American people by providing "incomplete and indirect" responses.
By Rachel Hirshfeld
First Publish: 10/11/2012, 3:27 PM

President Obama addresses American people following Libya attack
President Obama addresses American people following Libya attack
Reuters

Mitt Romney's presidential campaign accused the Obama administration of misleading the American people by providing "incomplete and indirect" responses to questions regarding the terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“With each passing day, we learn more about the ways in which the Obama Administration misled the American people about the tragic events that transpired in the terrorist attack on our consulate in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012," said Romney policy director Lanhee Chen in a statement. "Nearly a month later, the Obama Administration continues to offer incomplete and indirect responses to simple and straightforward questions."

Chen continued to demand a "full accounting of the facts not just from that day, but from the days and months leading up to the attack."

On Tuesday, senior State Department officials provided the first detailed report of the attack and indicated that there had not been a protest preceding the assault, as had been previously reported.

The administration originally suggested that the attack on the consulate was a spontaneous extension of an existing protest outside the building sparked by the anti-Muslim film “Innocence of Muslims.”

"There are many questions about whether or not the administration properly heeded warnings, provided adequate security, or told the American people the whole truth in the aftermath of the attack," Chen said.

"On an issue of this importance, nothing short of full and complete candor is acceptable," Chen added. "We can't learn from our mistakes if we don't undertake an honest, transparent effort to assess them."

Press secretary Jay Carney said at the White House press briefing on Wednesday that officials had initially spoken "based on the facts we knew at the time" and that the White House has always insisted "this was an ongoing investigation."

"This is a moving picture," Carney said, adding that, "our sole interest — the president's sole interest — is to find out exactly what happened."