Daily Israel Report

Australia Reopens Probe of 1982 Anti-Israel Bombings

Australian authorities announced that they will be reopening the investigation into the 1982 bombing of the Israeli consulate in Sydney.
By Rachel Hirshfeld
First Publish: 8/26/2012, 12:26 PM

bombing attack
bombing attack
Reuters

Australian authorities announced Sunday that they will be reopening the investigation into the 1982 bombing of the Israeli consulate in Sydney and the Jewish Hakoah Club in Bondi.

In the first such Australian counter-terror case ever to be reopened, detectives interrogated Jordanian-born ‘Palestinian’ Mohammed Rashid, local media reported.

Australian detectives believe that Rashid, 65, who is currently serving a seven-year sentence at a federal prison in Indiana for the bombing of a Pan Am flight from Japan to Hawaii in August 1982, which killed one passenger and injured 15 others, is also behind the bombings of the Israeli Consulate and the Hakoah Club.

Authorities believe that the perpetrators were members of the Iraqi-based 15 May Organization, a terrorist offshoot of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).

Authorities said seek to apply new technology to solve the 30-year-old case.

On December 23, 1982 a bomb was detonated in the stairwell of a building adjacent to the Israeli consulate at 80 William Street, injuring two people and causing significant damage to the building.

Approximately five hours later, there was another explosion near the Hakoah Club. While there were no injuries, evidence suggested that the bomb had been designed to cause the building to collapse.

The Israeli government has reportedly been contacted as part of the renewed investigation.

Police said the threat of another terrorist attack still remains if the suspects are not caught.

“Even though the event occurred 30 years ago, the Club is glad the police are determined to continue their investigation,” Phil Filler, the current president of the Hakoah Club told J-Wire.