Iran is trying to displace the blame on Israel for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's campaign of terror against his people, and its backlash.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast pointed the finger at “the Zionist regime's hand” Tuesday in a statement to media about Syrian government attacks on residents in the Houla region.
"We palpably feel the Zionist regime's hand in Syria's internal developments,” Mehman-Parast told in a weekly news conference in Tehran, according to the state-controlled Fars News Agency (FNA). He added that the only side that might gain from Syria's instability would be Israel, saying that “any crime committed [in Syria] can be traced back to the regime's hirelings.”
The spokesman expressed Iran's support for the six-point peace proposal advanced by United Nations and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan, which has thus far been ignored by Assad. "The Zionist regime's backers aspire to the failure of Annan's plan,” Mehman-Parast said.
The Iranian news agency, considered a mouthpiece for the government of the Islamic Republic, commented that “recent reports coming from Syria suggested that various enemy plots are underway to spoil the peace mission of Annan in Syria to bring the Muslim country back into turmoil and pave the way for an overthrow of Bashar al-Assad's government...
"Meantime, the U.S. has spread rumors about impending blitzkriegs on Syria in a bid to affect the government forces and make Damascus consent to a Saudi and Qatari offer for the establishment of a buffer zone.”
The central area of Houla saw one of the bloodiest single events in Syria's growing civil war on Friday. U.N. human rights officials on Tuesday said most of the 108 victims of a massacre in Syria last week were shot at close range “execution style,” and accused pro-Assad thugs of carrying out the murders. The massacre on Friday in Houla – which included 34 women, 49 children, and in some cases entire families – generated new international outrage.
More than half a dozen countries – France, Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia and the United States – all took action against Syrian diplomats in protest. In most cases, Damascus' envoys were given 48 hours to depart their host countries.
The U.N. has estimated more than 10,000 civilians have been killed by Assad loyalist troops since the revolution began with the Arab Spring uprisings about 15 months ago.