Ban Condemns Attack in Toulouse
United Nations Security General Ban Ki-moon on Monday condemned “in the strongest possible terms” the killing of four people outside a Jewish school in Toulouse, France.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky was quoted by AFP as having said Ban was “saddened by the tragic deaths” of Rabbi Yonatan Sandler, his sons Aryeh and Gavriel and 8 year-old Miriam Monsonegro.
“He condemns in the strongest possible terms this act of violence and expresses his sincere condolences to the victims' families and the Jewish community, as well to the government and people of France,” said Nesirky.
French police are investigating whether a neo-Nazi gang was involved in Monday's shooting attack on the school in Toulouse.
The same two handguns used in the slaughter had also been used a week earlier in two similar shooting attacks on French paratroopers. Three were Muslim and all appeared to be either Middle Eastern or Black.
According to a report published in the French magazine Le Monde, police are now investigating whether a neo-Nazi gang was behind the murders. The magazine reported Monday that police have confirmed they are searching for three ex-paratroopers from Montauban who were dishonorably discharged from the army last year after being photographed in a Nazi salute in front of a Nazi flag, and wearing swastika tattoos.
Foreign Ministry officials said on Monday the Israeli consulate in Marseille is handling arrangements for the four victims of the Toulouse shooting to be returned home for burial.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu vowed to aid French authorities in bringing the perpetrator to justice.
"I promise that the Israeli government will aid the French government in this task," Netanyahu said. "We would do it anyway – some of the victims were also Israeli citizens."