A Taliban suicide bomber terrorist killed nine people, none of them Americans, at an Afghani NATO base Monday morning in revenge for the U.S. soldiers burning copies of the Koran along with other Muslim texts containing messages of incitement last week.
At least 12 people were wounded after an explosives-laden vehicle blew up bear the base.
“These attacks will continue with the anger of the public,” Taliban announced after the blast.
Taliban also said it was behind the poisoning of food at an International Security Assistance Force military base dining hall near the border with Pakistan.
ISAF officials confirmed that its food had been poisoned but said there were no casualties. "The dining facility was shut down and we brought in environmental health, who found traces of chlorine bleach in the coffee and fruit. Soldiers are now eating pre-prepared rations and no one was affected,” said ISAF spokesman Major David Eastburn.
Four American soldiers were among more than 30 people killed last week in Afghan Muslim riots in reaction to the burning of the Islamic material.
Apologies by President Barack Obama and the U.S. Army did not douse the flames of anger of Muslims who demonstrated and also attacked a U.S. military base Sunday, wounding seven Americans who apparently were members of the Special Forces. .
President Hamid Karzai spoke on television Sunday to condemn the desecration of Islamic texts while appealing for clam.
“Now that we have shown our feelings it is time to be calm and peaceful,” he said.
Following the murder of two American advisors on Saturday, NATO and several European nations withdrew their advisors from Afghan government offices.
The defense and interior ministers of Afghanistan canceled their scheduled visits to Washington this week. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta’s spokesman said that he “understands why they are unable to travel to Washington in the coming days.”