Despite earlier reports of his arrest, Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, son of Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, arrived late on Monday at the Tripoli hotel where foreign reporters are staying, Reuters is reporting.
According to the report, Qaddafi’s son spoke to foreign journalists at the hotel. Television footage showed him pumping his fists in the air, smiling, waving and shaking hands with supporters outside the hotel.
He reportedly told journalists that Libya was still in government hands and that his father was safe.
“I am here to disperse the rumors,” the young Qaddafi was quoted by Reuters as saying. “This is a war of technology and electronics to cause chaos and terror in Libya. They also brought in armed gangs by sea and by road.”
He also said that Tripoli was under government control and that he did not care about an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court in The Hague seeking him and his father for crimes against humanity.
Saif al Islam was asked if his father was safe and well in Tripoli, to which he responded, “Of course.”
Earlier on Monday it was reported that Tripoli had fallen to the Libyan rebel fighters and that a new transitional government was in the process of being installed.
It was also reported that another of Qaddafi’s sons, Mohammed, has managed to escape house arrest with the assistance of loyalist forces.
Other reports said Qaddafi’s tanks shelled parts of central Tripoli after rebels swept into the heart of the city.
According to the reports, tanks emerged from Qaddafi’s stronghold in the center of the Libyan capital and were firing shells.