3 Egyptians Dead as Israel Chases Terrorists

Report: An Egyptian army officer and two security personnel dead as the IDF chases terrorists along the border.

Elad Benari ,

Israel-Egypt Border
Israel-Egypt Border

An Egyptian army officer and two security personnel have been killed along the Egyptian-Israeli border, Reuters reported.

An Egyptian army official told the news agency the incident occurred as the IDF was chasing terrorists along the border of the resort city of Taba in south Sinai and Eilat.

According to the official, the army officer was a border guard and the two men were from the Central Security force.

“An Israeli plane had been chasing militant infiltrators along the border between Taba and Eliat and one Egyptian Central Security officer and two Central Security men were caught in the line of fire,” the army official said.

He added that three other security men were injured by gunfire and were being moved to a hospital in the city of el-Arish in the northern Sinai Peninsula.

Israel’s military activity along the border with Egypt was in response to Thursday’s combined terror attack in southern Israel, which resulted in the deaths of eight Israelis.

The terrorists who carried out the attack crossed the border from Egypt and originally came from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, which has become porous since the Egyptian uprising.

The Sinai Peninsula has been in a state of chaos and many militants, some of them affiliated with the Al-Qaeda terror group, have been hiding there since the uprising in Egypt that resulted in the ousting of former President Hosni Mubarak. The Egyptian army’s started this week “Operation Eagle”  in the Sinai, which is aimed at hunting down terrorists hiding in the region.

Around 1,000 soldiers and policemen forces were deployed last Friday and Saturday in the northern Sinai to carry out the operation.

The United States expressed its concern on Thursday over the situation in Sinai and urged the Egyptian government “to find a lasting resolution” to the chaos there.

Earlier on Thursday, IDF Spokeswoman Lt. Col Avital Leibovich posted the following video summarizing the events in the south before the evening incident in which another soldier was killed: