Barak Pushing to Finish Sinai-Fence After Terror Attacks
After the deadly three-phase terror attack that left 7 dead and 33 wounded Defense Minister Ehud Barak wants the Sinai fence finished.
By Gabe Kahn.
First Publish: 8/18/2011, 8:03 PM
Defense minister Ehud Barak is pushing faster completion of the Israel-Egypt border fence following the terror attacks Thursday that resulted in 7 Israelis killed and 33 wounded -- including 2 children aged 4 and 7.
Less than 10% of the security fence between Israel and Egypt has been built despite the fact that the budget was approved over 18 months ago - a problem excaberated by Barak's ministry hiring six different contractors to do the job.
Sections near Netafim and Carmit are still open, left completely unsecure and without the promised security fence. So far the IDF has been trying to manage the situation by monitoring the area with cameras and radar scans.
In January 2010, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu approved the estimated NIS 1 billion (approx. $280 million) construction plan to build a security fence at two sections along the Egyptian border, one near the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah and another near the southern city of Eilat.
Israel has so far managed to construct a barrier along 45 kilometers of it's southern border with Egypt, which stretches for over 200 km.
The original plan was to complete construction of the fence in 2013 but the Defense Ministry decided several months ago to hire six different contracts in order to speed up the construction and complete the project by the end of 2012.
The Defense Ministry said it would complete construction of an additional 100 km by the end of 2011. Officials said that 700 meters of fence was constructed on a daily basis.
Following the attacks near Eilat on Thursday, Defense Ministry Dir.-Gen. Udi Shani convened a meeting to discuss ways to increase the number of workers who work on the fence in an effort to move up the completion date.