Daily Israel Report
More

Zion's Corner Blogs


ISA Continues to Pick On Yitzhar Detainees

After being arrested and then released, the two Yitzhar residents have once again been summoned for questioning.
By Elad Benari
First Publish: 8/17/2011, 5:43 AM

Police at Yitzhar
Police at Yitzhar
Yesha human rights photo

After being arrested and then released, two residents of the community of Yitzhar have once again been summoned for questioning by the Israel Security Agency (ISA).

The two are 22-year-old Calev Blank and a 16-year-old minor who cannot be named under Israeli law. The two are suspected of setting Arab cars on fire in retaliation for government-ordered demolitions of Jewish homes and its harassment of Jewish residents, but authorities have not disclosed what evidence there is that points to their connection with the alleged attacks.

Both of them are Torah students at the Od Yosef Chai yeshiva in Yitzhar, located north of Jerusalem in northern Samaria (Shomron). Blank was recently banished from Yitzhar when police officers issued restraining orders for some residents of the community.

The Honenu legal aid organization told Arutz Sheva that one of the two was summoned for further questioning on Wednesday morning, despite the fact that both detainees had been released on Tuesday.

Honenu also said that the father of one of the detainees was contacted by an officer from the Judea & Samaria Division of the police and was told to bring his son in for questioning by ISA investigators.

During their previous detention the ISA tried to use tricks, such as planting a prisoner in Blank’s cell to get him to talk.

“The Shin Bet does not know how to backtrack and get down from the 'high tree it climbed',” the detainees’ friends told Arutz Sheva on Tuesday. “There is not a shred of evidence in the case, but nonetheless the ISA continues to try to harass the detainees in any way possible.”