He Ru Follow us: Make a7 your Homepage
      Free Daily Israel Report

      Blogs


      Orbach: Freeze Means It's Time to Leave

      MK Uri Orbach hopes the two other MKs in the faction will favor bolting the coalition in case of a freeze, but says he will not leave on his own.
      By Gil Ronen
      First Publish: 11/14/2010, 9:40 PM / Last Update: 11/14/2010, 9:52 PM

      Flash 90

      MK Uri Orbach of the Jewish Home said Sunday that if the government decides to renew the freeze on Jewish construction in Judea and Samaria, then “the time will have come to leave” the coalition.

      Orbach told Arutz Sheva's Hebrew-language news service that his party did not bolt the coalition “despite things that we did not like” – presumably a reference to the 10-month freeze on construction – however, a second freeze will not be acceptable to him.
       
      He was asked if a decision to leave the government after it voted in favor of another freeze would not be too late – and retorted with a question of his own: “And if we leave now, they will not make a decision?” He said he would make every effort to prevent the idea from being accepted, and noted that “the matter may hinge on one or two votes."
       
      Orbach would not commit himself regarding his two cohorts in the faction. “This is the position I wish to lead in the faction,” he said, noting that MK Zevulun Orlev had expressed similar views. Orbach said he hopes both Orlev and the third MK from the faction, party chairman Prof. Daniel Hershkowitz, will vote to leave the coalition if a second freeze period is accepted, but that he would accept the faction's majority decision, no matter what it turns out to be. He does not intend to leave the coalition on his own if Orlev and Hershkowitz decide to stay.
       
      "We are a small faction and we will do our best” he added. “We have no interest in issuing threats.”