Archive: 8/31/2014
Daily Israel Report
More

Zion's Corner Blogs

15:47
Reported

News Brief

  8/31/2014, Elul 5, 5774

Another Infant Swallows Magnetic Beads


The two-and-a-half year old infant girl had swallowed a string of four small round magnets which attached to each other and stuck to her large intestine. Because she arrived a full two days after swallowing the beads, doctors were forced to extract them through a colonoscopy procedure; afterwards she was sent to the children's department for observation before being sent home.

The extraction was urgent, given that the magnetic attraction can cause the different magnets to press together and lead to a perforation of the intestines, a development that can cause severe stomach infections and even death.