Director General Ahmet Uzumcu of the Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons stressed, Thursday, the urgency of removal of the remaining chemicals from Syria so that destruction operations can begin without further delay, according to the Kuwait News Agency. An OPCW press release said about 100 metric tons of chemicals, or nearly eight percent of Syria's declared stockpile, remain at a single site. Over the last week they have been packed and are ready for transportation. The Syrian authorities say that they cannot yet be moved from the storage site due to the security situation in the area. OPCW said that Syria will apparently not make the June 30th deadline for completing the process.
Referring to recent reports during a briefing the OPCW Executive Council meeting at the Hague on progress in the work of the OPCW-United Nations Joint Mission in Syria, Uzumcu said, "The alleged use of chlorine in Syria is of grave concern to the OPCW and the international community." He added, "All efforts should be made, by all parties to the conflict, to enable safe access for our team enabling it to conduct its important work."