Daily Israel Report
06:59
Reported

News Brief

  5/30/2013, Sivan 21, 5773

U.S. Troubled by Verdicts in Attack on Tunisia Embassy


The U.S. Embassy in Tunisia said on Wednesday that it is “deeply troubled” that the 20 people convicted of attacking the embassy last year only received suspended sentences.

A mob of some 2,000 people attacked the compound on September 14, 2012, destroying cars, property, burning the American flag and a nearby American school, ostensibly in response to a movie in the U.S. that allegedly insulted Islam. Four protesters died in the attack.

“The verdicts do not correspond appropriately to the extent and severity of the damage and violence that took place," the embassy said in a statement, adding that Tunisia’s government must show there is no tolerance for those resorting to violence to achieve their goals and that the court’s "decision fails in this regard."