Defense/Security 7:48 PM 3/8/2014
Defense/Security 8:36 PM 3/8/2014
Middle East 3:45 AM 3/7/2014
Life Lessons with Judy Simon
I am a resident of Shiloh, with my wife and children, and now grandchildren, since 1981, having come on Aliyah in 1970. I have served in a volunteer capacity as a Yesha Council spokesperson, twice a member of Amana's secretariat, Benjamin Regional Council plenum member and mayor of Shiloh. I was a parliamentary aide for Geula Cohen and two other MKs, an advisor to a Minister, vice-chairman and executive director of Israel's Media Watch and currently, am Information and Content Resource coordinator for the Begin Heritage Center.
Noting that the agreement seemingly represents an attempt to negatively affect Israel's sovereignty in Jerusalem and its holy shrines, his two queries are:
1. What is Israel's official stand regarding the agreement?
2. Why does Israel not declare publicly and firmly that it rejects this injurious attempt?
The answer came a month later from then Deputy Foreign Minister Zev Elkin:
Re: Israel's Ignoring of the Agreement between King Abdallah and the PA President as regards the Temple Mount
1. The setting of Jordan's position complies with Israel's outlook and contributes to the distancing of undesired elements, including Qatar and other Arab Muslim countries.
2. The Jordanian recognition of Palestinian sovereignty in East Jerusalem is not new but has been reestablished by this agreement.
3. The agreement does comply with the terms of the special status awarded to Jordan concerning the holy sites to Islam according to the Israel-Jordan Peace Treaty, 9 (2), and therefore restricts the Palestinian aspirations (symbolically and administratively) on the Temple Mount.
This is outrageous.
I complained about the ignoring at the time.
I have asked Yariv to pursue the matter.
We don't want Abdallah singing "Two Banks Has The Jordan".
P.S. For those who comprehend Hebrew, here's a recording of Internal Security Minister informing his questioners that PM Netanyahu reconfirmed to him the government position not to permit Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount.